How to Get Married in Florence

Documents you will need to get married in Italy and other useful information

It’s not just about the organization of the ceremony, right? There are some other things that you will have to take in consideration for your destination wedding.

Let’s start with all the documents you will need:

  • A valid passport
  • Your permesso di soggiorno and Carta d’identità (in case you are a resident)
  • Original/certified copy of your birth certificate (translated and the certification must also be certified)
  • Evidence of the termination of any previous marriage/s if applicable (e.g., final divorce decree, annulment decree, or death certificate of former spouse). Translated into Italian and certified.
  • Affidavit or “Dichiarazione Giurata”

Your ‘Dichiarazione Giurata’ is a document that states that you aren’t participating to multiple marriages at once and it will be issued by your country of origin in Italy. What you will have to do is making an appointment at your consulate in the city you have chosen for your Italian wedding. The process will be easy in the end, as long as you do not have a pending divorce. Since this is only valid for six months, you shouldn’t do it until you fix your wedding date. You’ll need two “marca da bollo” (the Italian administration stamp), for an amount that equals 16 euros. Be sure to bring your passport, and cash or credit card (not debit card) to pay the 50 Euros processing fee. Once you are done with this, to go to the legalization office (Ufficio Legalizzazioni) of the local prefettura to legalize it. You will need another marca da bollo of 16 euros and a valid document. It seems a long process but it’s not as bad as it sound, it’s actually quite quick.

Your next step will be the atto notorio:

  • For residents: make an appointment at the tribunal in Florence and go with two friends that can legally declare that you are able, sane and not a criminal to marry. These witnesses must know you well, not be family members / future family members (if they don’t speak Italian, you need an official interpreter).
  • If you don’t live in Italy, you will need to do this at the closest Italian consulate in your home state. Do it quickly, waiting lists can be long.

Again, remember to bring, together with your legal identification, two marca da bollo’s of 16 euros, and one of 11 euros. The atto notorio will be ready in four to ten days (If you need it quicker, bring two marca da bollo’s of 16 euros and one of 33, and you will get it right away). After the atto notorio, you will have to go to Palazzo Vecchio, the town hall, to get the marriage appointment at the marriage office. Civil banns must be posted at the Town Hall for two consecutive weeks (including two Sundays) before the marriage can actually take place. If you are not a resident of Italy, this procedure is waived. Once they decide on a date, the ceremony will be performed by the mayor or one of his deputies. You will need two witnesses and one interpreter to translate your ceremony from Italian into English. Americans: once you are finally married, go again the prefettura or legalization office where you will obtain the apostle for your marriage certificate (the U.S. Department of State recommends requesting multiple certified copies!)

What if I have been married before?

The Italian government has a law decreeing that a woman cannot remarry after being divorced or widowed, for 300 days. It sound crazy (and to me, it is) this does not apply to men. If this situation does apply to you, you will have to present your Decree Absolute and previous marriage certificate.

Civil Wedding and Religious Wedding: what you need to know

If you get married in a church, the priest will conduct the legal ceremony and then register the marriage with the civil authorities.

The Catholic church has its on requirements, such as such as baptismal and confirmation certificates and letters of freedom. It’s wise to contact the church where you would like to get married to check what you will need in order to have your wedding ceremony there and, also very important, to verify their availability.

If you instead are planning to marry in Florence at the Palazzo Vecchio, the civil marriages take place in the “Sala Rossa” (Red Room), which is charmingly decorated in red. You can also choose to marry in the famous ‘Salone dei Cinquecento’ or ‘Sala di Lorenzo’ in addition to other locartions such as the Bardini Museum, Villa Vogel and the Florence Rose Garden. Weddings can take place from Tuesday to Sunday and the fee goes from 500 to 2000 euros for non-residents.

Now, are you ready for your Italian wedding?

+39 348 3370110

+39 348 3370110